PATH - A Public Private Partnership for Advancing Housing Technology
Getting Rid of Mold for Good
Mold has become the hottest topic in housing. Have you ever wondered why? If you think of a house as an integrated system rather than a collection of products and parts, it's easy to understand. If one element does not function properly, it can affect the performance of another element, and another, and the domino effect continues-until you have created the perfect conditions for mold to thrive.
There are four key elements you can control in order to eliminate mold before it has the chance to grow:
Construction Practices: How many times have you seen uncovered stacks of wood at a construction site when it's raining or snowing? Or a partially framed house exposed to the elements for weeks or even months, waiting for the crew to install the roof? Keeping construction materials dry is a key factor in preventing mold's growth. To ensure a dry construction site, consider modular building, where the house is assembled in a dry, climate controlled factory.
Building Materials: Newer building materials, like gypsum board, provide more food for mold than the traditional solid lumber and plaster. For damp areas like bathrooms, choose high-quality materials like cement board or fiberglass-covered gypsum board to help resist mold and moisture. Install high-quality windows to avoid condensation, and use steel framing when possible.
Building Design: Several design elements can have a positive impact on reducing the moisture level in a house.
Housekeeping: Maintain, drain and watch the rain.
If you already have mold and you're looking for some cleaning tips, try the latest recommendation: good old soap and water. Apply a mixture of hot water and a strong detergent to the moldy area, then rinse thoroughly and let dry completely. Some sources recommend using a solution of one part bleach to ten parts water, but you must be aware that bleach is a toxic substance. Make sure you are in a well-ventilated area; take frequent breaks to get fresh air; and wear protective gloves, goggles and a respirator. Leave the bleach solution on for ten minutes, then rinse the area, let it dry completely-and whatever you do, don't use full-strength bleach!
For a review of the basics, check out our previous tip, " Eliminate Mold in Your Home."
Content updated on 2/27/2007
| | | | |
Affordable Housing Providers